Louisiana Board of Pharmacy
5615 Corporate Blvd, Suite 8E
Baton Rouge, LA 70808-2537
Web site: www.labp.com
Requirements: [LAC 46: LIII 906]
1. Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
2. Applicant shall be in good moral character and not be impaired.
3. Applicant must be a high school graduate or posses an equivalent to a high school diploma.
4. Applicant must complete a board-approved pharmacy technician training and education program.
5. Applicant must demonstrate evidence of 600 hours of practical experience under a pharmacist preceptor.
6. Applicant must demonstrate the completion or passing of a board- approved technician exam.
7. Applicant must submit an application ($100) to the board of pharmacy.
Technicians must undergo a training program that meets competency standards as established in the Pharmacy Technician Training Program Minimum Competencies as approved by the board. There must be documentation of at least 600 hours (max. 50 hours per week) of practical experience in the pharmacy. Technicians can apply to become a technician candidate for 18 months to work in the pharmacy while completing the necessary training requirements outlined by the board. [LAC 46:LIII 903]
The technician-to-pharmacist ratio is 2:1 if there is a technician candidate on duty. The ratio may be increased to 3:1 if there are no technician candidates on duty. [LAC 46:LIII 907]
Louisiana law requires a minimum of 10 contact hours of CE offered by an ACPE-accredited or Board-approved provider of continuing education per year.
[LAC 46:LIII 905and LAC 46:LIII 909]
Can the ExCPT be Taken?
Applicants must pass a technician examination by a board-approved program to be registered as a technician. [LAC 46: LIII 903]
ExCPT is applying for approval.
Note: This chart is provided as an informational service only and is not to be construed as legal advice. While reasonable attempts were made to ensure accuracy of this information at the time of writing, it is subject to change. Readers are encouraged to check the applicable statutes or board regulations for the latest information. This information does not come with any expressed or implied warranty. Hyperlinks used above may expire if the Board of Pharmacy has made changes to its website. If a hyperlink does not work, you can still access the referenced information by visiting the Board of Pharmacy website address listed above. To report any out-of-date information on this list, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.