Continuing Education > (CE) Credits
NHA Continuing Education Program
Once you are certified (unless you’re a Certified Pharmacy Tech), you must earn 10 Continuing Education (CE) credits every two years to keep your certification current. NHA offers an online CE program that provides you with the ten required credits needed every two years to maintain your certification.
Continuing Education Credits
With a few exceptions, the healthcare industry is not a 9 to 5 industry. That is why we’ve made it convenient for you to earn your annual CE credits online. Because 10 CE credits are required every two years to maintain your NHA certification, you may elect to stay current by completing 5 CE credits per year. Note: NHA no longer provides printed CE volumes, all volumes are conveniently available online.
Every two years, after completing a total of 10 CE credits, you will receive a new NHA certificate and ID card that extends your expiration date for two years.
Note to ExCPT Certified Pharmacy Technicians: Continuing education and recertification requirements are different for ExCPT Certified Pharmacy Technicians. Learn more about continuing education and recertification requirements for ExCPT Certified Pharmacy Technicians.
Options for Completing NHA Continuing Education Credits
Option 1: Complete 5 online CE credits/year
5 Annual CE Credits
The annual recertification fee is $79.50. This fee includes 5 online NHA CE credits. There is also an additional $20 annual recertification fee for each additional certification you wish to maintain.
|First 5 Annual CE Credits Cost ||+ Additional Certification(s) ||= Total Cost |
|$79.50 || ||$79.50 |
|$79.50 ||1 @ $20.00 ||$99.50 |
|$79.50 ||2 @ $20.00 || |
Option 2: Complete 10 online CE credits/2 years
10 CE Credits
If you choose to recertify and complete CE credits every two years the recertification fee is $159.00. This fee includes 10 online NHA CE credits. There is also an additional $40 recertification fee for each additional certification you wish to maintain.
|First 10 Annual CE Credits Cost ||+ Additional Certification(s) ||= Total Cost |
|$159.00 || ||$159.00 |
|$159.00 ||1 @ $40.00 ||$199.00 |
|$159.00 ||2 @ $40.00 || |
Complete your CE credits:
- Log in at www.nhanow.com using your e-mail.
- Select “CE” on your dashboard.
- Select “Take Online Courses” or “Add External CE Items.”
- Complete the required number of continuing education credits. Thirty continuing education credits are currently available online.
- Next apply CE Credits to your certification(s). This will direct you to the store to make the required payment.
- Should a certification expire, reinstatement is permitted within one year of the expiration date. If reinstatement is initiated within one year of the expiration date, the person must submit:
- Evidence of 15 completed continuing education credits
- $238.50 (three year renewal fees; $79.50 per year)
- $99.00 Reinstatement Fee
15 CE Credits Cost + Additional Year + Reinstatement Fee + Additional Certification(s) = Total Cost
|$159.00 ||+ $79.50 ||+ $99.00 || ||= $337.50 |
|$159.00 ||+ $79.50 ||+ $99.00 ||+1@ $60.00 ||= $397.50 |
|$159.00 ||+ $79.50 ||+ $99.00 ||+ 2@ $60.00 ||= $457.50 |
After one year from the expiration date, reinstatement is not permitted and a person must apply and again take the Certification Exam to become recertified.
There is no refund offered on continuing education.
Continue Education Providers
- There are many ways to complete your continuing education requirements for recertification. CE programs offered by national and state pharmacy associations and pharmacy technician associations will generally be acceptable if related to pharmacy technician practice. We recommend CE courses offered by the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) and the National Community Pharmacists Association.
- For NACDS programs, go to: http://nacds.rxschool.com.
- For NCPA programs, go to http://www.ncpanet.org/index.php/ce
- CE programs are also available from other national and state pharmacy associations and private providers such as Powerpak and Pharmacy Technician’s Letter.
- If your certification is expired you must complete 15 CE credits, pay the three year recertification fee (see above), and pay an additional $99 reinstatement fee.
- Reinstatement is not permitted for certifications that have been expired more than one year.
- Expired certifications that are not reinstated within one year are no longer valid. If you do not reinstate your expired certification within one year, you lose your certification credentials and your NHA certificate and ID card are no longer valid. In order to recertify, candidates will be required to re-take the actual certification exam.