Pharmacy Technician Recertification
The purpose of recertification is to support high standards of practice for pharmacy technicians, and to encourage their participation in continuing education to promote safe and effective patient care. It also provides a means for recognizing pharmacy technicians who continue to demonstrate their qualifications by complying with continuing education requirements and adhering to high professional standards.
Because of the rapid changes in health care, new drug treatments, and technology, pharmacy technicians must keep up to date. Therefore, the Certification Governing Committee has determined that certification must be renewed every two years.
During the two-year period prior to recertification, certified pharmacy technicians must:
- Participate in at least 20 hours of continuing education (CE) including at least one hour of Pharmacy Law.
- Additional CE credits earned cannot be carried over to the next recertification period.
- Certified technicians may recertify up to 90 days after expiration of their certification, but are not allowed to include CE credit earned during this grace period.
- After this 90-day grace period, technicians will lose their certification status.
- Certified technicians who fail to recertify on time may be able to have their certification reinstated within 12 months of their expiration date.
You may begin completing your CE credits at any time, so get a head start. Maintain your certification status as well as your competitive edge.
It’s easy, let us show you how! View our simple “how to recertify” guide. Certificates of Participation must be obtained for each CE program. This certificate must include the following:
- Participant's name
- Date of the program
- Name of the sponsor*
- Program title and number of contact hours
- Signature of a person responsible for the program
If the CE provider is accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE), the ACPE program number also should be included. ACPE accreditation of the program provider is not mandatory to receive continuing education credit.
*Note: ACPE accredits CE providers; it is not a CE provider and should not be listed as the name of the sponsor.
Apply CE credits
- Log into your current NHA account
- Apply CE Credits
- Check-out (Include any promo codes during checkout)