Requirements: [AK Board Reg. 12 AAC 52.140]
1. Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
2. Applicant must not have been convicted of a felony that may affect the applicant’s ability to perform his duties within five years of applying.
3. Applicant must provide evidence of a high school diploma or equivalent.
4. Applicant must be able to certify that he is fluent in the reading, writing, and speaking of the English language.
5. Applicant must submit an application ($150) to the state board.
Applicant must submit a renewal application ($100) to the pharmacy board before June 30th on even-numbered years.
“Before an individual may regularly perform the tasks of a pharmacy technician, the individual shall complete training required by the pharmacist-in-charge. Duties performed by the pharmacy technician must be consistent with the training the pharmacy technician has received.”
[AK Board Reg. 12 AAC 52.230]
“A pharmacy technician, working with sterile pharmaceuticals, including parenteral medications, must complete a minimum of 40 hours of on-the-job training in the preparation, sterilization, aseptic technique, and admixture of parenterals before beginning work.”
[AK Board Reg. 12 AAC 52.230]
The National Pharmacy Technician Training Program can be incorporated into on-the-job training.
Technicians are required to complete 10 contact hours of continuing education approved by the pharmacy board per renewal period. Current certification by a board-approved program will suffice as evidence of CE. ExCPT is seeking board approval, though in the interim, the continuing education required of ExCPT certified technicians will meet the state requirement.
A technician who is renewing for the first time may:
1. Verify through an affidavit that he has read the state’s statutes and
2. Submit an affidavit, signed by the pharmacist-in-charge, confirming the applicant’s training in accordance with 12 AAC 52.230. [AK Board Reg. 12 AAC 52.325]
Can the ExCPT be Taken?
Certification is completely voluntary. Continuing education requirements for ExCPT certified technicians meets the requirement for Alaska. Nevertheless, ExCPT certification provides national recognition of your knowledge and skills and may make you more marketable.
Note: This chart is provided as an informational service only and is not to be construed as legal advice. While reasonable attempts were made to ensure accuracy of this information at the time of writing, it is subject to change. Readers are encouraged to check the applicable statutes or board regulations for the latest information. This information does not come with any expressed or implied warranty. Hyperlinks used above may expire if the Board of Pharmacy has made changes to its website. If a hyperlink does not work, you can still access the referenced information by visiting the Board of Pharmacy website address listed above. To report any out-of-date information on this list, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.