Requirements: [CA Board Reg. Code1793.5]
1. Applicant must submit an application ($50) to the board of pharmacy.
2. Applicant must attain a high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Applicant must produce documents confirming his or her identity.
4. Applicant must produce a description of his or her qualifications and supporting documentation for those qualifications.
5. Applicant must undergo and pass a criminal background check.
Must meet one of the following requirements: [CA Bus and Prof 4202a]
1. Complete any pharmacy technician training program accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
2. Obtain an associates degree in pharmacy technology.
3. Complete any other course that provides a training period of at least 240 hours of instruction covering the topics outlined in regulations. [CA Board Reg. Code 1793.6]. Pharmacy technicians may use The National Pharmacy Technician Training Program together with appropriate supervision of 240 hours of practical experience.
4. Graduate from an accredited pharmacy program.
5. Receive certification by a board-approved program.
The technician-to-pharmacist ratio is 2:1; except that this ratio shall not apply to personnel performing clerical functions.
[CA Board Reg. Code 1793.7]
Only required to maintain certification.
Can the ExCPT be Taken?
California law does not require pharmacy technicians to be certified. As long as the technician has completed the required training outlined above, any pharmacy technician may voluntarily obtain national certification by taking the ExCPT. ExCPT is applying for approval.
Note: This chart is provided as an informational service only and is not to be construed as legal advice. While reasonable attempts were made to ensure accuracy of this information at the time of writing, it is subject to change. Readers are encouraged to check the applicable statutes or board regulations for the latest information. This information does not come with any expressed or implied warranty. Hyperlinks used above may expire if the Board of Pharmacy has made changes to its website. If a hyperlink does not work, you can still access the referenced information by visiting the Board of Pharmacy website address listed above. To report any out-of-date information on this list, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.